Ten Hag reviews Man Utd's Carabao Cup win over Crystal Palace
Manchester United forward Antony has reportedly agreed to speak with Greater Manchester Police (GMP) following allegations of abuse from ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin. The Brazilian is currently on a leave of absence from the Red Devils to allow him time to address the claims. He had been back in Brazil but has now returned to the UK.
Antony flew back to the UK from Sao Paulo on Tuesday night, travelling via Spain. Despite being back in Manchester, he is still not available for selection for the upcoming Premier League match against Crystal Palace over the weekend.
According to The Times, Antony is set to speak with the GMP over two separate allegations of ‘physical and psychological violence’ towards Cavallin. She has been in contact with police in both England and Brazil this month and submitted a 42-page legal document to the GMP outlining claims of assault which are said to have occurred earlier this year.
Antony strongly denies the accusations and is reportedly willing to surrender his phone to the police to assist them with their ongoing investigation. He has also agreed to be questioned.
Don't miss... Sheikh Jassim 'stance' on making new Man Utd bid as Jim Ratcliffe plans emerge [LATEST]
The 23-year-old issued a formal statement when the allegations were made public by Cavallin to outline that he would not be available for the foreseeable future while he deals with the allegations.
The statement read: “I have agreed with Manchester United to take a period of absence while I address the allegations made against me. This was a mutual decision to avoid distraction to my teammates and unnecessary controversy for the club.
“I want to reiterate my innocence of the things I have been accused of, and I will fully cooperate with the police to help them reach the truth. I look forward to returning to play as soon as possible.”
United said in a statement of their own last month: “Manchester United acknowledges the allegations made against Antony. Players who have not participated in international matches are due back in training on Monday.
“However, it has been agreed with Antony that he will delay his return until further notice in order to address the allegations.
“As a club we condemn acts of violence and abuse. We recognise the importance of safeguarding all those involved in this situation, and acknowledge the impact these allegations have on survivors of abuse.”