More than 1,600 people were moved to safety on Friday after a fire broke out at a warehouse in Cheung Sha Wan, with two workers at the site taken to hospital after breathing in smoke. The fire at the building on Fat Tseung Street started at around 2pm and sent huge clouds of smoke billowing into the sky. Police said nearby residents were caught up in the evacuations, along with students and teachers from several schools. The headteacher of Ying Wa Primary School, Sylvia Chan, said the school day normally ends at 2:30pm, but pupils were sent home as soon as staff learnt of the fire. Chan said she received no reports of children feeling unwell. The Home Affairs Department designated Sham Shui Po Sports Centre as a temporary shelter for anyone affected by the incident. The Fire Services Department, meanwhile, urged people to close their doors and windows if they were experiencing smoke or smells from the fire.
- Mar 24 2023
- 1 Views